Thursday, January 8, 2009

Introduction

I'm setting up this blog so friends and relatives can find out how I'm progressing with my cochlear implant.

On Monday (Jan 5th), we went to Sunnybrook hospital for the pre-op assessment. No hitches there. A nurse took my blood pressure and said that it's a bit high. Nothing new there; I think it starts to go up whenever I get close to doctors and hospitals. The anesthetist was not concerned by my BP. He was a bit more interested in the family history of heart problems but said that my ECG looked fine so it was unlikely to be a problem.

I'll have to be careful not to pick up a cold or other infection before the surgery date. That could be challenging as a lot of people at work have something or other and it's hard to avoid snifflers, etc, on the subway. I'll just have to be fastidious about washing my hands and not touching my face.

Today, Thursday (Jan 8th) is one week until surgery. I'm starting to get a bit nervous! Not so much from fear but more from the realization that this is going to be a big change in many respects.

Why "SevenEars"? Well, mostly because the names "FourEars" and "SixEars" were already taken. But then it occurred to me that I actually own seven hearing aids of various states of repair. And each "Seven Years" seems to represent a phase in ones life so maybe it's appropos of that too.

Googling the term "Seven Ears", finds that it appears in the Bible and in script of the "Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat". Different kind of ears; metaphorical perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    This was very informative for me and I'm your sister. I will show this to Roger and the kids. It will help them to understand what is happening. Also, it should help me to keep Mom and Dad on track. I have alot on my plate right now as I am getting bits and piece from the Queens School of English and Roger is working in Stouffville.
    I'm thinking about you!
    Good Luck!

    Thanks so much for the blog!
    love
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. I thought it was called StevenEars. Maybe I should be getting new glasses too.

    ReplyDelete

Please choose the Anonymous option if you do not have a GMail account. Thx!