Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hear and There

Today, I've discovered a few new things in the sound landscape, not all of which I really want to hear:
  • Subway: between St George and Museum, the wheels go SHRIIIIIIIIEEEEK as the subway takes a sharp corner. I thought they had fixed that problem years ago. Nope, it just seems I became deaf to that particular sound.
  • Muzak: on a walk in the underground mall at lunchtime, it seems that nearly every store has some kind of muzak going. Does anyone actually LIKE that stuff? Are they trying to drive customers away?! Well, it will drive me away which may not be so bad.
  • White noise: at work, I realize that the building ventilation noise is quite loud and obtrusive. Before the CI, I couldn't exactly hear it but I was aware of it because, when it shut off at the end of the day, there was some sense of release or quiet. With the CI, I can hear it all the time. Perhaps I'll get used to it.
On a more positive note:
  • While putting ingredients in the bread machine, I poured out some flax seed into a measuring cup. It makes a soft noise - a sort of piiish. Nice
  • I'm hearing more low frequency sound now. Not deep bass notes or anything but deeper than before. For example, the noise of the keyboard clicking away sounds more natural now whereas, a couple of days ago, it sounded thin and high-pitched. Strange.
  • I tried listening to various bits of music from the web. On Monica's suggestion, simpler pieces or with just one or two instruments. Harp music sounds quite good, but more crisp and precise than before, especially the very high notes. Clarinet isn't bad. But I can barely hear the cello - it's too low and deep.

2 comments:

  1. I chuckled about the subway......why haven't they fixed that anyway?

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should come here - some really cool sounds to tempt your new hearing...like the bushbaby screaming outside my window all night...
    Brilliant to read your progress Steve!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Please choose the Anonymous option if you do not have a GMail account. Thx!