Sunday, February 1, 2009

Heard a Bird

Yesterday, I was off to the dump. No, not to toss out my collection of old hearing aids but to get rid of various bits of defunct computer equipment that have been piling up in my office.

This was also my first time driving since getting the CI. Usually, I have to turn my hearing aids down or even off while driving on the highway because the noise is so loud I can hardly hear myself think. I expected it to seem noisy in the car with all sort of rattles and squeaks.

But no, the CI hardly seems to notice the engine, road noise or wind noise. Instead, it picks up sounds like the turn indicators, the whoosh of the tires going through a puddle, the squeak of my boot against the clutch pedal. Much better. At one time, I could hear the turn indicators but it's been a few years since I've been able to hear them while the car is moving.

I tried listening to the radio - CBC Radio 2. It was evidently Vinyl Cafe. Now, I wouldn't say that I could understand it at all but I was able to distinctly pick out quite a few words. That's something.

I haven't heard any birds for a year or two now. And the last time I heard one, it was more of a click than a cheep or chirp. So I was interested to see if the CI would pick up birds. Not many birds around right now even though there were a bunch a few days ago. So I stood on the back steps waiting. Eventually, a lone sparrow turns up and starts pecking away at the bird feeder. But it's too busy scarfing down sunflowers seeds to chirp. After a while, it flies off into the neighbour's rose bush to digest. And then - cheep, cheep! YESSS!!

I'm noticing various other sounds around the house: the beep when you push the buttons on the oven is different from the beep that the microwave oven makes. Before, it all sounded the same - a sort of croak, if that.

What I hear in my left ear (hearing aid) sounds quite different from what I hear in my right ear (CI). At first, the two sides seemed somehow disconnected as if the sound was coming from two completely different sources. But already, after only 48 hours or so, the two sides are starting to sound a bit more connected or integrated.

Tomorrow, I'm back to work. I'm a bit nervous about that. Partly because I look a bit, well, different:I'm sure the bald patch over the ear will grow back in a while but right now it looks a bit naked.

There will be two and a half week's backlog of work to catch up on and lots of 'new' sounds and voices to get used to.

3 comments:

  1. Happy you "heard a bird"!
    I'm looking forward to hearing about how work went now.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve, you look great and I am SO HAPPY for all what you are experiencing. This is awesome. Your blog is great, and everything you are sharing is so true and I have been there, but it's nice to put this in words.
    I remember hearing the same things too, car signals, running water, birds, etc. The most important for me that I could start listening to my favourite old songs for ABBA... I remember driving to York Region and playing their Mama Mia CD with all beautiful songs that I haven't listend to since late 70s or early 80s...
    With my bilateral implants, I am considering buying an iPod and download all my favourite songs.

    Randa Elborno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been away and no where near internet, so great to catch up and read about your exciting progress! It is making me more aware of sounds that I just take for granted too. Trust your first week back at work went well.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Please choose the Anonymous option if you do not have a GMail account. Thx!